F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)


Scholarships and Visa



When is the individual mobility flow to start?

The partnerships can organize the mobility in different cohorts according to the following timeline:

  • Student mobility First cohort: can start as from September 2011 and the latest date for starting mobility is 31 December 2012.
  • Second cohort: can start as from September 2012 and the latest date for starting mobility is 31 December 2013.
  • Third cohort: can start as from September 2013 and the latest date for starting mobility is 31 December 2014.

Staff mobility can start at any time within the project duration. Both students and staff have to finish before the end of the eligibility period of the respective project of the Partnership.

Who selects students and staff for mobility flows?

The selected Partnerships are responsible for the organisation, selection and the implementation of the individuals' mobility. Each Partnership establishes the mechanisms foreseen for the selection of students and staff.

In order to know who the selected Partnerships are, see the Agency website at the following address.

How can potential candidates find out about specific admission conditions and apply for an individual mobility flow?

Potential candidates for a scholarship (students and staff) have to submit their application directly to the partnership they have selected. In September of each year, the list of selected Partnerships will be published on the Agency website at the following address.

Each partnership is responsible for publishing the different mobility opportunities available within the scheme and attracting potential candidates. The availability of mobility opportunities has to be widely visible and the information easily accessible for all the targeted groups of potential candidates, not only in the partner institutions (target group I) but also in non-partner institutions (target group II and III).

And how will they find out if they have been accepted in a mobility flow?

The partnerships are responsible for communicating the results of the selection to the candidates who will eventually participate in the mobility scheme.

How is "staff" defined?

Academic staff comprises teaching staff or researchers from the universities participating in the Partnership, but also university administrators (rectors, personnel in charge of cooperation offices, admissions and recognition departments, etc). All these categories are eligible candidates for outgoing mobility. They will have to be invited by the host institution member of the Partnership in order to perform training, teaching and/or research activities.

What are the conditions required to staff candidates to apply?

In order to be eligible, academic and administrative staff must be nationals of the third countries concerned by the geographical lot or of one of the eligible European countries, and must work in or be associated with a HEI within the partnership.

Are inter-European or inter-third-country mobility flows allowed?

No. The grant for individual scholarships may not be used for individual mobility flows of Europeans between European institutions or third-country nationals between third-country institutions involved in the partnership.

Can students or staff benefit from more than one mobility flow?

No European or third-country student/staff candidates can benefit from a second scholarship for the same type of mobility under another project under the EMA2-STRAND1. Furthermore, candidates cannot benefit from more than one mobility activity within the same project.

Can third-country nationality students living in Europe apply for a mobility flow?

In order to be eligible, third-country students must have not resided nor carried out their main activity (study, work, etc) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of the European countries at the time of submitting their application to the partnership.

For this purpose, it is recommended that partnerships require a declaration of honour that the selected candidate complies with the rule. In addition students must respect the following:

  • For target group 1, students must be registered in a third-country HEI within the partnership at the time of submitting their application.
  • For target group 2, students must be registered in a university in their home country or another third country concerned by the lot or must have obtained a university degree or equivalent from an institution of these third-countries.
  • For target group 3, students need to have the nationality of one of the countries in the respective lot and be part of the vulnerable target groups.

Can students spend a given period at an Associates?

Yes, as long as the conditions of Action 2 are respected and as long as the academic curriculum of the students in question requires such secondment, as can be the case of Doctorates students, and it is clearly stated in the learning agreement. However, associates may not receive funding from the EU grant.

Scholarships and Visa

What does the grant covers?

  • Travel cost (one return ticket only)
  • Monthly allowance: Undergraduate 1.000€/month; Master 1.000€/month; Doctorate 1.500€/month; Post-doctorate 1.800€/month; Staff 2.500€/month
  • Insurance cost
  • Participation costs / tuition fees

Can European and third-country students/ staff receive scholarships from other EU programmes for the purpose of following an individual mobility flow?

Only one EU grant can be awarded for the purpose of implementing an action or activity. In this context, a European or third-country student/ staff member benefiting from a mobility scholarship under the present cooperation scheme is not entitled to be awarded additional grants from other EU initiatives for the same purpose.

Can incoming students be charged tuition fees?

No. Under no circumstances may participating HEIs claim tuition fees costs directly from visiting students.

How can students and staff obtain a visa in order to study in Europe/third countries under an individual mobility flow?

Once students and scholars have received an official confirmation from the Partnership that they have been accepted to participate in an individual mobility flow, they have to obtain a visa in their home countries via the embassies of their host country (ies). It has to be borne in mind that obtaining the necessary visas can be a lengthy process.

The international offices of the universities should advise students and staff on how to proceed. In order to accelerate and facilitate the procedure, the selected partnerships are strongly advised to contact and liaise with the EU Delegations in the third country (http://ec.europa.eu/world/index_en.htm) as well as the Consulates and the Embassies of the EU Member States in the countries.

For Europeans the respective Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Consulates and the Embassies of third countries in the EU Member States should be contacted.

Are students and staff covered by an insurance scheme?

Yes, they are to be covered by a complementary sickness and accident insurance offered by the partnership and funded with the EU grant allocated to the project. The minimum requirements for this insurance coverage can be found on the Erasmus Mundus website.

Where and how my rights as beneficiary of an Erasmus Mundus Scholarship will be defined?

In case you are selected for mobility by an EM Partnership, you will have to sign a Student Agreement with the Partnership prior to your enrolment. This agreement should define the rights and obligations of both parties and must provide you with a comprehensive picture of all the aspects related to your participation in this Programme such as the participation costs, the course calendar and examination periods and the student's obligations concerning his/her attendance to the course/activities and academic performance.

This agreement should ensure that both parties, the partnership and the individual participant (yourself) agree on these aspects and their respective responsibilities towards them.

How the academic recognition obtained during my stay in a hosting HEI will be ensured?

Academic recognition must be assured by the partnership at the end of the period of studies abroad. In this context the Learning Agreement and transcript of records are the key documents that ensure the recognition by the home institution of the study period abroad, referring to a Diploma Supplement, if appropriate.

The Learning Agreement should be signed by responsible authorities within the home and hosting HEIs, as well as the student before the mobility starts. Any modifications to the Learning Agreement need to be agreed by all three parties.


To how many Action 2 partnerships may a student apply?

In some regions, there is more than one Action 2 partnership offering mobility. Students may apply to more than one partnership that covers their country. It goes without saying that you can only be selected for mobility by one partnership.